Saturday, April 25, 2009

blog #6 Art and Society

Seeing the way that art is used here, makes me realize how much a society's surroundings can dictate the trends and styles that the people will live by. The art that I see around here is either the graffiti on the sides of the decaying building walls or the historical architectural landmarks around the city. Art plays a role of pride for a society. When the people know that they have something that other's can admire or be envious of, I think the society can think more highly of itself.

For example, here in Manaus, the city as a whole has that "emerging country" look to it, but when I talk to people about the old colonial buildings, the Teatro Amazonas (the second most beautiful theater in the entire country) and the parks and squares, the people become proud of their country. People keep the historic buildings in amazing condition and respect the public squares with the fountains. I think a society which has art and an art history to be proud of is a society that is proud of who they are. The square below was created at the same time as the theater in 1897

No comments: