Gianlorenzo Bernini. Saint Teresa of Ávila in Ecstasy. I love Bernini. He was and is the most amazing sculptor ever. There are so many other artists out there, but none that were as popularly commissioned and displayed like Bernini. I especially love this piece because of how he can make a block of marble look like thin sheets of cloth that are just barely staying in place. I would think that his work is very relevant to today's world because his pieces are tourist attractions for people all around the world, whether they know who Bernini was or not. I know that the only reason I would want to go to Europe is to go look at his sculptures. Also, the way that he approached his sculptures is relevant to todays artists, i think. Bernini could make his sculptures look like a real life scene, with emotion and human flaw, but you cant help but admire how perfect his work appears. Today, I think that there is a trend in current media towards portraying a more realistic vision of life, instead of trying to portray what should be happening or what someone else would want you to see. Bernini is definitely a trend setter with the accuracy and emotion he puts into his work, and you can see that his contemporaries and those who came to work after also tried to make their work as "real" as possible.
3 comments:
thats a very impressive sculpture. what is it made out of? is it marble? also the long vertical pieces in the back, are they part of the scuplture? I really like the emotion in the faces.
Hi Emerald,
I agree with you about the beauty and uniqueness of Bernini. I also chose one of his pieces for this weeks blog... you would probably enjoy reading my post. I am also very impressed with his ability to carve the gossimer robes on the angle. It is very difficult to get that fine amount of detail without breaking the piece. I was in Rome and staying a few blocks from that church and did not know of this piece until this weeks lessons, so the thought that I could have seen it really tortures me!
Kimberlie
I love this sculpture too. I love how you can feel the intese emotions just by look at it. The detail throughout the sculptur is amazing.
Post a Comment